Friday, January 9, 2015

Twitter Geek and a World Wide PLN

I must admit that for a long time Twitter was a mystical, kind of scary, no-go-zone for me.  I just didn't really see the point of it.  To be honest, I think that my knowledge of the Twittersphere extended to knowing that celebrities used it to share their daily food intake or places they had been with their equally famous friends.  I had no clue that it could be used for my own professional development as an educator or to connect with others in the educational field from all around the world.  When my colleague suggested I try it for professional development purposes I gave it a go not expecting much, and I was immediately hooked.

Twitter, in my experience, is one of the most valuable professional development opportunities I have discovered since beginning my teaching career.  It has encouraged me to think more deeply about my beliefs around the pedagogy of teaching, made me question what I do daily as an educator and why I do those things.  I have done more educational readings, learnt more about modern practice and current research in education, and then discussed these things with others in the educational field, than ever before.

And the best thing about it is that it's free, it's available anywhere and on any device.  Twitter is such an amazing find.

If you haven't joined the world of Twitter, I suggest you give it a go.  It's incredibly easy to set up an account and there are a multitude of blogs and videos to help you out if you need it.  A great blog to try is www.mrkempnz.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment