Tuesday, February 17, 2015

28 Great Things

I'm tired tonight.  My feet are sunburnt.  I was surrounded by water all day and didn't drink enough.  Reminds me of that quote... water, water everywhere and not a drop to drink...  It was our annual School Swimming Sports Day and I am shattered.

So here goes my post for #28daysofwriting...  The 28 Great Things of my school day.

  1. I forgot to have breakfast.  On its own not a great thing but one of my colleagues knew this and after the bell rang she walked into my room and quietly placed a bowl of cereal and milk in front of me. Almost cried at the kindness.  
  2. Hugged my colleague tight.  We were both tired and needed it.  
  3. Had another class join us for the roll, they walked in so quietly that I didn't notice.  Did the roll without thinking as I taught with their teacher last year and we shared the same password for our LMS.  Love it when things are easy and seamless.
  4. Everyone chipped in to help get things ready for the day - kids, staff, parents.  
  5. Gas bottle for the BBQ was full... phew!
  6. My principal brought us all coffee... large-sized and awesome.
  7. A parent donated a basket of beautiful home-grown fruit for me to raffle for our enviro group.
  8. Made 36 dollars.  Sounds like not much but it's a lot when you've only got $170 in the enviro budget for the year.
  9. Seeing the child from my post on excellence not only putting his head under the water but attempting freestyle, backstroke and breaststroke!
  10. Drinking ice-cold coke.
  11. Getting to sit in the shade and record the results...  I definitely had the best job!
  12. First year of not being on 'crowd control'.  Enough said.
  13. Chatting to a family who moved here from England last year about how amazing it was to see their children swimming... they'd never had this opportunity until they'd moved here.
  14. Watching families cheering for their children.
  15. Watching families cheering for children who are not their children.
  16. Getting sprayed with water by accident by a child who was hosing off the lane dividers.  Pure bliss.
  17. Standing on the wet concrete in my bare feet.
  18. Swimming in the staff team for the relays... and winning!  Competitive much?
  19. Not being on duty at lunchtime.  
  20. Doing road crossing duty with my Principal as we discussed a couple of things that came up after school.
  21. My team-teaching partner covering the bus duty that I had offered to cover for the Principal.
  22. An impromptu Senior Leadership meeting that was very productive.
  23. Air conditioning in said meeting room.
  24. A visit from a past student who remembered that I'd promised him a chocolate bar if he was taller than me the next time we saw each other.
  25. Me still being taller.
  26. His smile when I promised him that the offer extends out to Easter.
  27. An email from the local sports coordinator telling us that she loved being at our Swimming Sports Day.
  28. Leaving work at 5pm with a smile on my face because even though it was a long, hot and tiring day... it was a great one, filled with amazing people who pulled together and worked as a team all day long.
Hope your day was great too!




No comments:

Post a Comment