Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Reframing the Loss



Change.  It's everywhere.  I found this quote by Deepak Chopra and it really reasonated with me.  All great changes are preceded by chaos.  It reminded me of something I heard last year that changed the way I feel about change.  And the way I deal with others going through it.

Last year I was lucky enough to attend ULearn14 with my colleagues.  It was an experience like no other I've been to in my teaching career.  I happened to stumble upon a really amazing speaker.  His name was Mark Osborne and after I heard him speak, the first time by accident, I went and changed sessions I had already booked to see him two more times during the three day conference.  He spoke a lot about change.  And it changed me.

There are two types of responses to change.  First Order Change and Second Order Change.  Depending on the situation people will fall into either category or some combination of both.  As leaders we need to be aware of these differences and receptive and responsive to both.  We need to have built positive relationships with our staff so that when these changes occur we are able to help each other through them and come out a stronger team on the other side.

Change is difficult.  Sometimes overwhelmingly so.  People often have a lot to lose when something changes and this is extremely hard.  A leader needs to recognise the response to change and to give the person what they need to get through it.

First Order Change is a when a person is learning something new and is open to the change but needs help in managing it.  It might be the addition of new technology into their classroom such as iPads or the change from PCs to laptops.  People going through this type of change need manuals, checklists and helpful tips to get them used to the change and embrace it.  This kind of change is relatively simple.  Just provide the scaffolding and support.  Done.

Second Order Change is harder.  Much harder.  It often occurs when a current framework is changed, perhaps something like moving from a paper system of management to a paperless one, bringing in BYOD in a deviceless school or completely changing the year level that a teacher has always taught in.  A person going through this type of change will feel threatened, scared, or like there is no-way possible that they will be able to manage this new 'normal'.  This response requires kindness, support, a listening ear, reassurance.  There needs to be trust and a supportive relationship to get through this change successfully.

When I think about the times in my teaching career when someone has really dug their toes in about something, I am left convinced that they were going through Second Order Change.  When I think about how I could have helped them more, I wish I had known the things I know now.  While I, or some of my other colleagues, may have needed a manual or a quick demo to learn the new skill, the toe-digger probably needed someone to talk to about how scary this was for them, someone to give them reassurance and guide them gently and patiently through.  Toe-diggers are often seen as saboteurs or dissenters of new ideas.  They are often given the same manual as the rest of the team and told to get on with it.  How well does this really work.  Is the change embraced?  The person left motivated and inspired?  In my past experience, no.

The next time you see a colleague digging their toes in, ask yourself if they have something to lose, if the change is actually overwhelmingly scary and big for them.  Ask them how they are feeling about it and listen between the lines.  Take them out for a coffee.  Build your relationship.  Give them reassurance and offer to guide them through.  You might be surprised how the response changes.  I dare you.

Thanks to Mark Osborne (@mosborne01) for introducing this idea to me, for helping me to learn how to help others through change.  

No comments:

Post a Comment