Sunday, February 15, 2015

Coffee Time



I walked up town the other day to get lunch.  It's a small town.  There are a ridiculous number of cafes for the number of people that live here but it's on the main road, tourists are everywhere.  And the coffee is to die for.  I am rather spoilt, I know that.

Our school receptionist walked in after me and sat down at table outside.  She seemed preoccupied.  Didn't appear to notice me there.  I waited for my order to be ready and touched her shoulder as I walked past her.  Said she could have sat with me if she wanted company.  She looked up and sheepishly said 'I just needed a break'.  She seemed embarrassed, like she was confessing to something she shouldn't be doing.  She said she had been planning to take her order back to school but then changed her mind.  She needed a break.  I get that completely.

A school is pure madness a lot of the time.  Rooms filled to the brim with little voices chattering away incessantly, meeting after meeting, talking to colleagues, communicating with parents.  Even the photocopier is noisy.  The phone never stops ringing.  There is often little time to gather one's thoughts.  To think in a quiet space.  To breathe, just breathe.  To have a break.

I've found working in a little town amazing.  It's got the rural feel with some urban conveniences.  Coffee is one.  Possibly my most favourite one (who am I kidding, of course it is).  Stepping out of school for a few minutes and walking up the street to get a cup of coffee or grabbing lunch is pure bliss.  I don't even feel guilty for it.  I need it.  We all need it - a break.  Take it in any form you can, a walk around the far end of the field.  Sit in the quiet library or between the dusty shelves of the resource room.  Play an instrument.  Or lock your classroom doors, turn the air con on and just breathe for a few moments.  I've done all of the above.

In this busy, busy world we all need to take a break sometimes.  The reward is feeling more centred, relaxed, like you recharge just enough to get through the next hour (or six - sometimes the only time to snatch that break is first thing in the morning!).  It's important.  Do it.

As a side note for those readers who understand why my blog is named Half Cold Coffee - no I do not usually finish the cup before it gets cold, yes it sits there half finished for a while, and I'll let you in on a little secret... add a half shot of caramel and then once it's cold it tastes like a caramel/coffee milkshake.  You're welcome :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment