Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Lines, Tears and a Phonecall From My Mother

Oh dear.  This post is going to be all over the show, I just know it.  I don't like it, order and organisation are kinda my 'thing'.

I have crossed the line from tiredness into a state so far past tired that I cannot even think of a word for it. There is, however, no way I was going to miss writing tonight.  Day 25 of #28daysofwriting cannot be missed no matter how badly I want to shut my eyes or even though I feel my brain is working as though packed in cotton wool (bad choice of words - 'working' might be overstating my brain's capacity at the moment).  Forgive me.

We had Goal Setting meetings tonight with our parents and students.  They were amazing.  This year we did things differently, we had our meetings in the Learning Centre together - all our teachers meeting with parents in the same place.  I loved it.  There was a quiet buzz and murmur of conversation around the room and everywhere you looked heads were bent in earnest over tables, in deep discussion about goals for our students.  It was a great night.  Just as well - we have another night of them tomorrow.  This is the point where the tears come in, my last meeting of the night.  Everyone else had finished and my colleague and I were at the table with our last family (coincidentally the only time we'd been able to buddy up and sit in on one of our meetings together).  Master 9 sat in between his parents, his teachers filling in the other side of the circle.  And I was looking at him, this brave little boy sitting at a table with four adults around him, talking about him and his learning difficulties.  Not an easy place to be.  But his face was alight.  And I commented on it, the fact that he realised that around him sat four adults who believed in how smart he really was, four adults who were striving to find ways to help him to show it to the world.  It was the best moment of the night.  I couldn't help but feel tears prick the corners of my eyes as I said the words.  Luckily it was the last meeting of the night.

The phonecall was just that, a phonecall from my mother.  She rang during one of my Goal Setting meetings and I didn't answer (obviously).  She then rang again just now during my 28 minutes of writing, minute 12 to be exact.  Checking up on me.  She knew it was a big day.  I'll make do with 26 minutes of writing today, no complaints here.

So there you have it.  Day 25.  I'm feeling very proud that I blogged tonight despite the randomness of the material I'm posting.  Lines crossed.  Tears.  A phonecall.  That's all I have.  Good night.

2 comments:

  1. I always feel for my students during our 'three-way conferences' sitting there facing their parents and me. I can only imagine how intimidating it COULD feel. I think it's wonderful that you've created an environment and relationships that make it reaffirming rather than overwhelming. Kudos to you! Now... go get some sleep so you can do it all again tomorrow. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind words Markeeta!

      Delete